"Life can only be understood backwards - but must be lived forwards."



Thursday, April 23, 2009

Her heart did go on....


Kate Winslet - one of my most favorite actresses ever. From The Holiday to Titanic - she can do it all. She is one of the classiest actresses out there. She is never in any scandals or a trouble maker among Hollywood. She has always been a lady and also an incredible performer.

Finally, this year in The Reader she was recognized for her amazing abilities and received the Academy Award for Best Actress. She had some pretty stiff competition as well.

One of my favorite things about the awards this year was how they did the presentation of announcing the nominees for the Best Actor/Actress awards. If you have no clue what I'm talking about - instead of just regular presenters they had 5 of the past winners of the award come out and talk about the nominee, their performance and their overall character and career. It was very moving.

Now after Kate Winslet won the award for The Reader - I kept forgetting to go see the movie. And months later it is now on DVD and I finally rented it!

Now for those of you who know nothing about the movie, it is set in Germany beginning in the 1930s I believe and goes up to probably the late 80s. I can't give too much away but it begins with Kate Winslet's character Hannah having an affair with a teenage boy. During their affair, she always had him bring home books from school and read to her. Further down the line their affair ends- they go their seperate ways - Michael goes to law school and unfortunately, Hannah joins the SS and works at a Nazi concentration camp. I don't want to give too much away but later in life their paths cross again and Michael is torn between his love and care of Hannah with his moral obligations.
This movie took so many unexpected twists and turns for me. So, hopefully if you have any desire to see it you don't know too much about the film and can be surprised all the way through. I also was very intriged with the movie because of the Holocaust/Nazi Germany/Germany in general part of the movie. For anyone that knows me, you know that I have a morbid fascination with the Holocaust and can't get enough of learning about it in all aspects. I'm a weirdo - I know. But for whatever reason, it took a hold of me and I will always be interested in it.

All in all, Ms. Winslet gives an incredible performance (like always) and I'm so glad that her as an all around artist and actress was finally recognized.

I HIGHLY recommend this movie. It was one of the best I've seen in quite a while. Well, not including 17 Again - but it was up there. hehe
After browsing through blockbuster, which I hadn't been in quite a while, I realized that there are so many movies out on DVD that I want/need to see....Milk, Doubt, Henry Poole and so on.

Definitely looking forward to those - but I most definitely recommend The Reader for your next trip to the video store.

PS: They will eternally be my favorite couple together. I think they are soulmates.

1 comment:

Jaclyn said...

really...kate winselt and zac efron being compared. no. just no... but thanks for updating (although the color was kind of hard to read...)