"Life can only be understood backwards - but must be lived forwards."



Thursday, May 28, 2009

Namaste

For all those people out there who thought I was crazy to be happy that I got a job at the Dept of Revenue......
How many people can say that at their job they can do yoga during lunch?
I know many jobs have their perks or seem more enjoyable, but I have found that there are a lot of upsides to working where I work and I'm very grateful.
One of my co-workers very generously donates her time to teach some classes during her/our lunch time. Not only that, but as an employee, I only have to pay $50 for the entire year to have access to our weights room and work out room. The facilities are actually pretty decent too. How many people can go work out on the treadmill or lift weights during lunch???
So this is how my week goes...
Monday: Weights Class taught by Jazmine (who is an actual instructor)
Tuesday: Used to be walking but Jazmine invited me to the pilates class she teaches, so I will be going to that now instead.
Wednesday: Weights on my own usually or walk
Thursday: Yoga Class with Jazmine
Friday: I don't take a lunch on Fridays because another perk of my job is working 9 hr days during the week and then every Friday I am off by 11:30am!

But back to Yoga - I can't even tell you how amazing it feels to have a yoga class during the middle of the work day. The mind and body aspect of it is exactly what I need towards the end of a work week. It is a great work out - stretching and balancing and centering. I feel refreshed after and excited that I only have another day of work til the weekend!
At the end of every class, she also takes a couple minutes to meditate and center ourselves - which is also an amazing thing to have in the middle of a crazy work day. As I was listening to music and meditating in the dark at the end of class today - I honestly forgot where I was and was able to focus on the bigger picture of things. Amazing.

I highly suggest some downward dogs and tree poses to you all.


Namaste.

3 comments:

LadyP said...

I knew you'd love yoga! I miss it!

Jaclyn said...

my work has free food. kinda of the complete opposite! haha

doniree said...

hey girlfriend! how happy I was to Facebook stalk you, only to learn you're a blogger as well! I LOVE yoga, and totally agree with you on the amazing things it does for your mind/body. I don't have the opportunity to do it during the workday, but I'm kind of obsessed with CorePower and swear by yoga as a means of not losing my head sometimes :)

Miss your face, lovely!

~ Doni