"Life can only be understood backwards - but must be lived forwards."



Friday, April 9, 2010

It's 10 O'Clock - - - Do you know where your manners are?

I'm not going to even apologize for my lack of blogging because I don't feel guilty that I haven't done much lately. I have about a million and one commitments right now - oh and planning a wedding in 6 months. ;-)

Here is my rant though....

Since when did everyone loose all manners and etiquette when it comes to weddings? Or maybe people never had it in the first place. Either way I just don't understand.
I will preface all of this with the fact that now that I am in the shoes of the wedding planner and organizer - I do feel guilty for some of my wedding etiquette in the past. I am guilty of some of it - but not to the extent of what I am dealing with. But I do feel bad and vow to always remember what it was like for me to be planning my wedding and how difficult people can be - and to understand the responsibility that comes with being invited to a wedding. It is not just a given - it is an honor. And I promise to treat it with much more respect than I ever did in the past.

With that said...what is wrong with people?!? I am dealing with stress upon stress when it comes to invitations and guest lists and numbers. I understand there is some unspoken etiquette with invitations and who is invited. I thought everyone knew that if your name is on the invitation - you are invited. If it isn't - then you aren't. And just because your name is written on it alone - doesn't mean that you are automatically allowed to bring a guest.
Apparently, some people do think they are allowed to bring a guest.
And yes - maybe I am starting things right off the bat with me having bad manners with the fact that I'm not able to invite everyone I want, let alone give everyone a guest. Maybe I'm in the wrong with that - but in my heart I just don't think so.
I (we) made a choice at the beginning of this process and picked a venue which does have space limitations. Forgive me for picking a place that unfortunately doesn't hold a crap load of people - but it does hold a special place in my heart for its uniqueness and beauty. I'm sorry that my tastes have offended people because I was unable to invite their truck load of children to my wedding.
ok - i'm getting off course.....
What I'm trying to say is that - I'm sorry I cannot please everyone and that I may have offended people by the limitations of my decisions. But at the same time - I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry that I decided what I wanted for ME and MY wedding - and it just so happened not to work out so well for you.
I have had multiple people write on their RSVP & guest, when the invitation was only sent to one. I don't understand why. If someone had a question - they should come to me and ask - before they just assume and then make me look like the jerk and stressing out more having to tell them that they cannot bring a guest. Or just leaving it as it is and working with the fact that they are bringing a random person that I've never met and I'm having to eliminate inviting a friend of mine. It is altogether so frustrating.
I've also had family members go through different people and channels to ask about their kids being invited. Which, unfortunately, their kids were not invited. I don't have space for my cousin's kids whom I don't even remember their names. I'm sorry - but I'm not okay with that. What I AM okay with is the same people not coming b/c their kids were not invited. All the more room to invite people that I actually WANT at my wedding.

I know this is a terrible vent/rant - but this really bothers me. It really bothers me that other peoples decisions have been bringing me more stress than I already have and it is so ridiculous.
I know I am probably in the wrong when it comes to family things. But at this point, I know who my family is whether they are blood related or not - and my true family will all be at my wedding. Others who may share blood with me but haven't spoken to me in years dont really constitute family to me.
I'm sure I will create some enemies after this event - but whatever. The people that matter are doing all they can to help me and be there for me. And the other people just dont' give a damn.
I just hope that the people who really don't give a damn and would just go to my wedding for the free meal would just stay home. But PLEASE RSVP No SOON so I can invite more of the people who actually matter.

Sorry for the rant - who knew bridezilla could sneak up on you so easily? ;-)

Peace OUT!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Wow- so sorry you're having to deal with all this! I agree that I just don't know why people cannot figure out wedding etiquette OR that the wedding is in fact about the bride and groom- NOT them! it just places so much unnecessary stress on you, but I hope that the "bad apples" don't dampen your excitement. It sounds bad to say- but it's reasons like this that i think so many people are just ready for the wedding day- and ready to get it over with! just remember- it truly is YOUR day and don't worry about what anyone else thinks and make no apologies for your decisions (especially for things like your choice of venue and its capacity!) your wedding will be beautiful and perfect and i for one can't wait :)