"Life can only be understood backwards - but must be lived forwards."



Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'll Cover You...

With 1,000 kisses....tear, tear, sniffle, sniffle

Last night, I was at opening night of the touring production of Rent at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis, MN.

A-MAZ-ZING!

I have been listening to the music from Rent for years, but this was the first time I had ever seen the actual show - and it did not disappoint.

I started the evening with happy hour at Palomino with some of my former co-workers from the Theatres. I always refer to it as "the theatres" and what I mean by that is the Hennepin Theatre District, which consists of the State, Orpheum and Pantages Theatres located on Hennepin Avenue in downtown Mpls. I interned there for a summer during college and stayed in touch with the folks enough that I was able to work there a couple years later for about 2 years.
Side Note: I miss my co-workers there dearly. I never realized how lucky I was to have so many friends around me at work. I know I had problems with some of the higher up people, but for the most part, I had some truly amazing friends there - people who are still dear friends to me and in retrospect, things weren't as bad there as I had made myself to believe. All in time though learning those things.

Anywho - Happy Hour was fun catching up with old friends and meeting new friends. Then, onto the show. Kathryn and I sat down - and I had already warned her about my emotionalness. lol I had no doubt there were going to be tears, so as long as she was warned, it was fair game. That is just how I am with music and theatre. It brings something out in me and I cry for reasons of being moved by the music, lyrics, dance, or anythign else. That's just how I roll. Poor Rian had to deal with me at Wicked a couple months ago. haha
Minneapolis is lucky to be able to have this production include two of the original members of the Broadway cast: Adam Pascal (as Roger) & Anthony Rapp (as Mark). They were two of the most important cast members that brought this show to life and help to make it the incredible show it is today. They were also featured in the movie they made of the show. So it was pretty amazing to see them do what made them who they are today in the world of Broadway.
So the show is amazing song, song, song, tear, tear, tear, clap, clap, clap.
We rushed out at the end to go over to Manhattan's for the Cast Party after the show. Kathryn had to "work" at it and do the schmoozing and make sure everything was going accordingly. It was so fun to be there - I miss those cast parties with free food and drinks and great company. I was a little nervous for this one because Anthony and Adam would be there - and if you know me, famous people make me nervous. Except if I'm in word mode. If I'm working and part of that is to be around that I'm okay b/c I feel like I have more of a purpose since I'm working - when I'm not though, I'm a mess. haha

Adam came in first and he looked good. We just huddled around to stare at him occasionally. A little later we heard that Anthony was in the hall, so I had to go see. I was even more nervous to meet him b/c he is so, well its MARK! haha Right when I saw him I thought I needed to get a picture with him right away so he doesn't get away from me and I loose my chance. There were a couple stray fans that followed him from the theatre to meet him and everything. And honestly, I think he just wanted to get inside the restaurant and relax for a minute. Then here comes me, the goofy girl with the camera. My new friend Michael grabbed my camera and I quick went up to him to get a picture. The picture of us is not good. haha He looks pretty unhappy or at least he looks distracted. Oh well - I was happy to meet him and grab a pic with him. Even if its the most akward picture ever. haha At least it is something. I haven't put my pics online yet, but I'll post when I do. A little later we actually went up and talked to Adam for a few minutes. Super nice guy. Super cute and friendly. This was his first trip to MN and he was saying that he wanted to get out a bit but there isn't much time between the shows and them only staying until Sunday/Monday. He said he was always looking for good restaurants - so right there I jumped in. I said - do you like sushi? There is an amazing sushi place downtown called Koyi Sushi. You should go - really small but always good. He asked how to spell it and he said he would google it and try to check it out. I figure I should get at least one cool point for that one. After chatting for a few minutes, we grabbed a picture with him. Should be super cute. I don't have it on my camera but once I get it I will post it.

UPDATE -Here is the picture of me and Anthony...Not the greatest, but hey - it works! hehe And below it is the picture of Kathryn, Adam Pascal, Me and Michael.


So all in all, it was a great night. I loved seeing some of my old co-workers and loved that they were all excited to see me too. We are definitely going to plan some happy hours. Since the show didn't end until like 10:30pm and then we went to the party, I didn't get home until 1am and had to wake up 5 hours later, but it was totally worth it, even though I'm sooo old b/c I'm just dragging today! lol

I would recommend this show to anyone -esp if you have never seen it. And to see it with Adam and Anthony is just the cherry on top!
For more info check out the Hennepin Theatres District Website

**Esp after last night - I know those theatres have not seen the last of me and things are actually cooking right now where I'll jump back in. Not a job or anything - but there are some things in the word that I'm getting excited about...stay tuned....

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

sounds super fun! the pic isnt as bad as you described it :-) I will be supporting the theaters this summer when we go to A Bronx Tale!

amrolih said...

We're going to see Rent this weekend in Chi-Town! I'm so excited and reading your run down got me even more excited! I can't wait!